Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Take This Job and...

Okay. What's your answer? We know what Johnny Paycheck wants to do and it seems he's got a lot of people in his corner. Did you know that in a recent survey that one out of every five people plan to take another job in 2009? It seems there will be a lot of "shovin' it "going on this year. That's pretty incredible seeing that U.S. employers cut another another 598,000 jobs in January, raising the unemployment rate to 7.6% and making it the worst job-loss since December 1974 (a whopping 1.8 million jobs in the last three months). No bueno.

Others might like DAC's song but it doesn't resonate with them personally. They like their job (by the way, you're the minority at about 20%). They feel it gives them a sense of security, stability and even identity. It makes them who they are. Good for them right? Well, believe it or not, that is also "no bueno" as well. Why? Shouldn't we like our jobs? Doesn't it tell us who we are? What I do defines somewhat who I am, right?

Join us over the next few weekend for The Office: How the Gospel Redefines Work and find out.

See you there!
Yancey



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A comment about take this job...I need this series because of my struggle with my new job. (took 2 weeks before Ike and it has added a huge degree of difficulty) I do very sacred work-I love what I do-have only been with the new company for 5 months but live with constant frustration. My boss does not like me-she has either criticized me for stupid things or avoids me all together. I am working long hours, looking for her approval or even a word that I am doing a great job yet realize it will never come. I believe she is highly threatened by me and has even taken credit for some work I have done. She is also new to her position-please don't tell me to try to talk to her-I have, I just come-up more frustrated than the time before. Should I start looking for another job where I can feel appreciated? Feeling appreciated is more important to me than my salary. Then again, the job market is tight and I feel stuck.